Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Art Journal Page #1



When I alter these books I usually give them away to friends but I decided to keep this one and use it as an art journal.  As I stated in my previous post, this book was a library book which meant that it had library quality paper for the book pages.  I wondered if I prepped the paper would it stand up to mixed media techniques?  This book is approximately 5"X 8" when closed which seemed like a good size for an art journal.  Big enough to develop a project but not so large as to be overwhelming.  

This is the first page that I completed, I did minimal work to it, just added some texture with a stencil and grey paint and then used my hand cut stamps on the page with some hand lettering and my acrylic markers to add detail.  Its not a great page for composition but an art journal isn't supposed to be a work of art, it is supposed to be a place where you can experiment.  So I was happy with it.  

The paper did pretty well,which was my main goal for this experiment, there was some bleed through from the next page that I am going to share with you which meant that I was going to need to gesso my pages before I could even begin, which is a story for the next Art Journal blog post.  

Do you do any exploration in an art journal?  

No comments:

Post a Comment