Sunday, November 7, 2010

What Else Can I do with that Pattern? Second in the series.

With the economy the way that it is I don't know about all of you but I certainly want to be able to find creative ways to use the things that I already have. I think that the word that I am looking for is repurposing. Not a particularly good post when I am in the business of selling new patterns. In spite of that thought thriftiness is exactly what prompted this set of blog posts. I've been taking a look at many of the patterns that I've designed and thought what else could my customers do with that pattern that would be fun and creative. Cards are one thing that comes readily to mind. Don't we all love to get handmade cards in the mail. I know that for me handmade cards are the ones that touch my heart and tend to get saved and pinned up onto my bulletin board or hung up on that popular repostitory of all things important in my life, the refrigerator. If I can't find something that I "thought" that I had filed I look up on the refrigerator. LOL. Often I find it there. Sad but true.

I like to send cards to friends when they are having a rough week for one reason or another and find that a cute card brightens up their day. I've recently had a number of friends and family who have fought a battle with cancer and later each one of them reminded me of how much it brightened a rough patch when they received a card in the mail. A handmade card that I had made for a friend in a similiar situation brought her to tears, not exactly my plan, but it certainly showed me how much any handmade item touches the hearts of those we love.

Keeping that in mind I took a look at the patterns on my website and thought which ones might be fun to redesign into cards. Since I've been thinking about friends who have been having challenges in their lives I immediately thought of the pattern "Hear no Evil, See no Evil, Speak no Evil" under the Miscellaneous Pattern Category. Since friends have been on my mind I thought what a perfect pattern to develop as a card because it already shows three friends out on a night on the town having a great time. A little bread, a little cheese, some yummy wine and good friends, what more could we want? There would be minimal work to adapt it to a card surface painted on watercolor paper and layered over a lovely scrapbooking paper would be fantastic.

How about ideas from all of you?

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a card and what a cute one. Who wouldn't love to get that for a nice pick me up. I also have been looking at your Holly and Ivy Candleholders. They are wonderful I think I am going to have to buy the pattern.
    Keep the good ideas coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CCW. What a nice comment. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the patterns. Happy Painting

    ReplyDelete