Sunday, September 9, 2012

Watercolor Pencils Sunflower Tutorial

Have you every used Watercolor Pencils?  They are fantastic and so easy to use, my favorite brand is the Faber Castell brand although there are so many great brands available on the market.  I've done a quick tutorial showing how to use them.  The first two photos that you see above are steps 1 and 2.  I like to work light to dark and have roughed in the sunflower using a creme colored pencil in the first photo and then darkened it in using a golden yellow.  You can see where I've darkened in my shaded areas and have begun to layer colors over the top to slowly build up the cast shadows of the sunflower.  In the second photo I began to develop the colors in the center of the sunflower and have further deepened the shadows by using a Burnt Sienna colored pencil. 
 

In step 3 I darkened the shadows of the sunflower using a dark brown.  In step 4 you can see that I have activated the paint with clean water and further added detail by lightly adding a small amount of black.  It is not necessary to activate your paint and may just use them as colored pencils as well.  They are a very versatile medium and I would like to encourage you to give them a try.  

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Friend reading your post & enjoyed it you sure are moving up in painting & that's great. Didn't want you think I'd forgotten you miss our chats ha,ha, later Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment!!! It was good to hear from you. Did you see that I wrote a post about the Wedding box that I painted for the dd wedding. Miss you.

      Delete