Sunday, October 5, 2014

Art Journal using Montana and Molotow Markers

During a previous post I mentioned that I was using the empty Molotow paint markers and the Montana acrylic markers. I decided that I wanted to do an art journal page using the markers as my main media and also wanted to compare which brand I preferred.  I'm working in my Strathmore Mixed Media Visual Journal for this page.  It was fun and I was able to add multiple layers, the only problem that I had was that if I wasn't careful my paper started to deteriorate mostly due to the makers somewhat abrasive quality when mixed with water.  If I allowed each layer to dry, they dried quickly, which eliminated part of the problem.  I think the main problem was that I was spraying my page with water prior to applying the paint  markers.  I wanted to see if the paint colors would mix and blend as I worked and they did somewhat although not quite as well as I had hoped.  I was actually using the larger sized chisel markers with the Golden High Flow Paint, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, and Dioxazine Purple.  I'm wondering if the markers don't lay down such a thin application of paint, which dried very quickly, that the paint didn't have time to blend, or if I had used watercolor paper I might have had better luck. Once the page was dry I was able to add more paint layers which had a lovely transparent quality.  You can see some of the transparent colors in this photo.

After I had the base layer on I decided that I needed some additional color and began applying yellow, red, and green to the mix.  Then added a white gel pen and black paint.  Everything that I have added has been either a gel pen or in the markers.  At first I wasn't crazy about the page but I have continued working on it adding some doodles and in the next post I will share where I am with the page.  I'm not sure if I will leave it or try to add something more.  

I had hoped that I could use the markers for a travel set of paints, I may still be able to do so if I used watercolor paper but found that on this bristol paper the paint did not want to mix and blend particularly well.  That doesn't bode well for travel painting.   I'm going to have to do more experimentation to see how I feel about the media.  Don't get me wrong, I love the markers and have used them frequently when doing layouts to add interest and detail especially when I am doodling but that wasn't the goal of this test.  So......... we will see how my next test goes.

I just discovered that Montana also carries an empty paint marker and I'm curious how it will work with the Golden High Flow Paint.  I'm going to have to read what the manufacturer recommends.


No comments:

Post a Comment