Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mixed Media Journal using Dylusions

This journal page was completed as a part of my participation in Life Book 2013, this was Mindy Lacefield's instructional video and was a journal page that was out of my comfort zone. Isn't that part of the purpose in completing a class to stretch yourself artistically?  I was particularly interested in this project because Mindy used Dylusion's Inks and stencils, I have been wanting to take the time to use my inks and stencils which I invested in a few months ago.  I also realized that I had all of the materials to complete this project at home in my stash so I took a few hours out of my schedule and sat down to complete this and found myself completely absorbed.  SCORE!!!  I lost myself in this project and loved the abstract, loose techniques that Mindy presented. 

The faces were not my usual style of face but I enjoyed trying out a new technique and playing with my Dylusion's inks and stencils.  She also had us journal in the background prior to laying down any paint and the idea that my words and thoughts were totally private appealed to me although if you look closely you can still see some of the text. 

The background was a layered design using Dylusion's Inks, Dylusion's stencils, Crafter's Workshop Stencils, Tim Holtz Stamps, random assorted stamps, Copic Markers, and Faber Castel Markers .  I also used Deco Art Paints to add a splash of neon color in the background and the faces, the clothing of the characters is completed with scrapbooking papers and some rub ons.  I had a great time with this project, in fact I haven't completed a Life Book project in a while and saw the instructional video and found myself really wanting to complete this.  It was so much fun and I had a great time.

Do any of you try art techniques which are out of your usual style and comfort zone?  I have to say that it is artistically very freeing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment