Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Journaling for 2014

When I was younger I did a lot of journaling, wrote a diary when I was young, recording major events in my life as I went through the teen and college years, writing about concerns or worries seemed to make the problem easier to deal with.  I've written about memories from my childhood that I wanted to share with my children and have interviewed and recorded some of my Grandmother's memories before she passed away.  Each one of these brought me joy and helped me to process life events in a healthy way.  I have gotten away from journaling on a regular basis largely due to life getting in the way.  In 2013 I was able to take a number of journaling classes and one of them encouraged us to draw our daily lives and I found myself inspired once again to begin recording those life events that occur on a daily basis, no matter how mundane they seem to be.  In fact signed up for other classes for 2014 but through Facebook heard about another journaling class called the Documented Life Project and was curious as to the content. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thedocumentedlifeproject/ I did some research and thought hmmmmm.......  Wondering if I would be able to be consistent enough to keep this going but it was FREE so I decided to give it a shot.  I found that I connected with the ideas presented by the four artists in the group, I am very organized and keep a planner and thought this could work for me.  Not to mention the fact that I could begin to document things that go on in my day in a quick easy manner and save it for future reference.  A number of years ago my sister made me a Christmas Journal that I record Christmas information in that I love. So.... I was hooked. 

To make a long story short after reading the posts and watching some of the other members develop their journals, playing around with my own ideas for developing a journal decided to give it a go.  I found a Moleskine Daily Planner on sale for 50% off at Barnes and Noble after Christmas and started altering the book according to the instructions in the paid portion of the project.  Yes, there is a paid tutorial on how to set up your planner, I found it to be very helpful, you may not need it however. 


You can see in the photos above that my Moleskine Planner no longer resembles the 50% off Star Wars Planner that I purchased at Barnes and Noble.  I added monthly tabs, tip outs to sketch and journal on and altered with paint and collage the front and back covers.  I purchased a hard cover journal which may cause problems as I proceed, the instructions suggested a soft cover, but will see how this one does and may change for next year.  I couldn't resist 505 off, the fact that it was a Star Wars theme didn't bother me in the least.  I anticipate that I am going to really love this process, imagine not having to carry with me 4 different journals when we travel or go out for the day.  Hmmmmm.......  Interesting concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment