Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Art Journal Part 2

I've been working on this Journal Page for the past few days and have really had a wonderful time playing in the paint.  I LOVE how it turned out, I love the vibrant colors and love the Dr. Seuss quotes that I used.  He is such an amazing author, so many of us grew up with his books clever unique text and now that I am looking for quotes to illustrate I seem to gravitate toward his.  Here I used two of his quotes.

I wanted to try something that I have not done before.  I recently watched a technique video by mixed media artist Kari McKnight Holbrook and she completes her lettering on deli paper and then adheres it to her page and I really wanted to try that.  I thought it was brilliant, it made lettering sooooo easy!  I could do all of my changes on the deli paper, ink, and then decoupaged it onto the page.  The deli paper was truly translucent and seemed to melt into the page.  I wanted more color around the lettering though and used my Caran D'Ache Neocolor 2 crayons to add additional color.  The first quote I used Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in life was completed on the deli paper but the arrow quote was not.  Can you see the difference between the two?  The arrows are slightly more vibrant but if I didn't know that there was a difference I'm sure that I couldn't pick it out.

Here is the finished piece, I added a Cat in the Hat hat and added a girl pointing toward the quote on the arrows.  My goal was to use the new Deco Art products and this project evolved into something that I really enjoyed and played with a few new techniques  as well as try out some new products.   I'd say that was a successful project.  Don't you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment