Friday, November 12, 2010

What Else Can I do with this Tooth Fairy Pillow Pattern?

How many of you paint or craft with children in mind? I know that I certainly do. I painted for my children when they were small and painted gifts for nieces, nephews, and eventually my children's friends. I have a number of projects that were designed specifically for children and one of my favorites is the pattern "Even Monster's love the Tooth Fairy". I think that it is darling as a tooth fairy pillow but can't you just picture it as a card or a wood cutout for some adorable child.

This project was inspired by one of my own children's favorite books Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. I can't tell you how many times I've ready that book over the years and it remains one of my favorites to read aloud even now. In fact I just read it last month to my kindergarten classes. Both I and children alike love a good monster story and if you've been a follower you know that this is a project that I've done over the years with some of my students.

As I was thinking about what else could be done with this pattern I immediately thought about cards, but why not think in terms of enlarging the monsters faces, cut them out of 1/2" pieces of pine and hanging them in a nursery or a toddler's room. How about painting them on a larger pillow or in the center of a quilt for a lovely bedding set? How about on a glass block to use as a child's nightlight?

I think that the possibilities are endless and would love to hear your ideas. I hope that many of you will take the plunge and share your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment