Saturday, May 1, 2010




This color worksheet is a portion of a free project that I did for the SDP Treasure Box Program called Fishing Boy and Girl. They were designed to be used specifically for the Treasure Box Program.
I'm often asked how I do my faces and this worksheet should help show the step by step process how a face is slowly built using layering techniques.
The filbert wave brush is invaluable in helping to layer paint to further enhance shading and highlighting. I use this brush in all of my design work when I want to quickly add a shadow or a highlight, it is quicker and easier than "walking" paint out into an area when floating. It can either be used prior to shading or highlighting or after. I thin the paint to a "washy" consistancy, thinned down so that when applied the paint very lightly washes into the area. This is a thinner application than the paint consistancy used when loading a script liner. Using crosshatching slowly build the color allowing each layer to dry prior to applying the next. In this way you can slowly add paint color until you have reached your desired intensity level either building the same paint color or changing your paint color to aid in the process. This is very similiar to glazing techniques. If any of you have done watercolor you are familiar with washing color into an area slowly building each layer prior to adding the next layer and this process is very similar. You do not necessarily need to just do crosshatching in fact I often just literally wash paint into an area and if the application is too dark I use the mop brush to soften the paint applicaton.
Remember that if you want to make a curved area look round you have to curve the line when applying paint. That gives the appearance of a rounded surface, your line application of paint can either round a surface or flatten it out depending on how you develop your line.

No comments:

Post a Comment